Rent, Benefits and Debt Advice
Need help paying your rent?
If you are having difficulty paying your rent, please contact your Income Management Advisor. We can help with all sorts of issues.
In the last year we have:
- Assisted residents with requests to backdate Housing Benefit, preventing eviction in a number of cases
- Helped residents to apply for hardship payments to deal with their council tax debts
- Ensured residents are signposted to dedicated support providers where specific, specialised assistance is required
Need help with debt or benefits?
Our Welfare Support Officer Chris James is here to help you with:
- Checking you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to
- Filling out forms
- Getting advice on changes to benefits, including Universal Credit and Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
- Budgeting to pay your rent and other bills
- Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) applications (when benefits are stopped or changed)
- Benefit Decision Appeals following refused MR
- Applications and appeals for Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
- Carers Allowance
- ESA and Essential Living Fund grants.
Chris has been successful in securing over £100,000 in additional benefit income for Colne residents in the last year.
Contact Chris on 01206 244700 or email: email@example.com
The Benefit Cap - how we can help
The reduced Benefit Cap for working age claimants was phased in by local authorities in Essex in November 2016.
Our Income Management Team has been preparing for months for the roll out, enabling the 71 Colne residents affected so far, to adjust and continue to pay their rent on time.
Others have been referred to our welfare specialist Chris James for extra support.
There cap restricts the amount of benefit a working age household can receive. Any household receiving more than the capped amount will have their Housing Benefit reduced to bring them within the limit.
The cap has reduced from £26,000 per year to £20,000:
To work out how much your benefits may be affected, please use the benefit cap calculator.
Benefits that are included in the cap
|Bereavement allowance||Carers allowance|
|Child benefit||Guardians allowance|
|Maternity allowance||Universal credit|
|Income support||Job Seekers allowance|
|Employment and support allowance (except where the support component has been awarded)||Child tax credits|
|Parents allowance||Widows benefit|
Benefits that are NOT included in the cap
|Bereavement payments||Council tax support|
|Discretionary housing payments||Retirement pension|
|Social fund payments||Statutory maternity, paternity and adoption pay|
|Statutory sick pay||Working tax credit|
|Disability living allowance||Personal independence payments|
|Attendance allowance||War Widows and Widowers pension|
If you are concerned about the changes and how they may affect you, please contact your Income Management Advisor as soon as possible who will be able to offer you practical advice and support.