What are you looking for?


On 1 July 2020, we merged with Greenfields Community Housing to form Eastlight Community Homes. Click here for the latest information on Covid-19 service changes.

Personal Independence Payments

1. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or disability.

2. PIP will eventually replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged between 16 and 64.

3. To receive a PIP you must be aged between 16 and 64.

4. You will continue to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) until the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) writes to you to tell you when it will end and invites you to apply for a PIP.

5. You will continue to receive DLA if you are under 16 or you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim.

To find out if you will be asked to claim use the PIP checker.

How to claim

Claims to PIP are started over the phone by calling the PIP new claims number 0800 917 2222 (Text phone: 0800 917 7777).

Someone can phone on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them.

You can also write to them and ask for a form to complete and post back although this can delay the decision on your claim.

You’ll be asked for the following information:

  • Contact details
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Bank or building society details
  • Doctor or health worker’s name
  • Details of time you’ve spent abroad or in a care home or hospital.

How much will you get

You will be assessed to work out how much you may be entitled to. It could be between £23.20 and £148.85 a week.

The amount depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You will be regularly assessed to make sure you are getting the right support.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

PIPs are usually paid every four weeks. It’s tax free and you can get it whether you’re in or out of work. It’s made up of two parts. Whether you get one or both of these depends on how your condition affects you.

Weekly rate Standard Enhanced
Daily living component £59.70 £89.15
Mobility component £23.60 £62.25

If you’re terminally ill

You can get a PIP more quickly if you’re not expected to live more than six months. Call the DWP to start your claim and then send them form DS1500 (you can only get this form from a doctor or other healthcare professional). You will NOT need to complete the ‘How your condition affects you’ form or go to a face-to-face consultation.

Useful contacts

PIP helpline

Tel: 0345 850 3322
Textphone: 0345 601 6677

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH