What are you looking for?


On 1 July 2020, we merged with Greenfields Community Housing to form Eastlight Community Homes. Click here for the latest information on Covid-19 service changes.

Rent, Debt and Repayments Advice

Covid-19 update

To support people with reduced or no income, the Government has made changes to the welfare benefit system. We have also made changes to our service model to ensure we can provide the best support. 

Click here to find out about what support you may be entitled to if:

  • You’re in work and not claiming benefits
  • You’re already claiming benefits
  • You’re making a new claim

If you cannot make your rent payment or make any new claims, please let us know. We are here to advise.

More information for residents:

Chartered Institute of Housing Advice

Support for those affected by Covid-19

Employment rights and sick pay

Benefits and coronavirus

Citizens Advice  

Coronavirus and your money 


Q. Do I need to pay rent and service charges over the next 3 months?

Yes Rent and Service Charges are still due each week or month.

Q. How can I arrange to pay my rent debt by instalments?

Contact our income team on 0330 128 0330 where one of our advisors is able to negotiate a repayment plan with you over the next 3 months

Q. Will Colne take legal action to end my tenancy?

We understand how difficult the situation is for customers, we will help and support you as much as we can to avoid a court hearing.

Q. Will Colne evict me from my home?

Evicting tenants is our last resort, we will do everything we can to avoid ending your tenancy. Please ensure you are keeping in contact with us and sticking to agreed payments plans.

Need help paying your rent?

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, our Income Management Advisors are here to support you. They can help with all sorts of issues including:

  • Claiming Housing Benefit and Universal Credit, and resolving issues with existing claims
  • Assisting residents with requests to backdate Housing Benefit
  • Applications for hardship payments to manage council tax debts
  • Applications for discretionary housing payments (DHPs) to assist with short falls in housing benefit for under occupancy and benefit caps
  • Ensuring residents are signposted to dedicated support providers where specific, specialised assistance is required

Need help with debt or benefits?

If you are having difficulty with debt or your benefits, our Welfare Rights Officer is here to support you. He can help with:

  • Checking you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to
  • Assisting with benefit applications
  • Getting advice on changes to benefits, including Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Advice regarding the benefit cap and what actions can be taken
  • Budgeting to pay your rent and other bills
  • Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) applications (when benefits are stopped or changed)
  • Benefit Decision Appeals following refused MR
  • Carers Allowance
  • Essential Living Fund grants, for assistance with essential furniture and white goods when moving into a new property
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Pension Credits

More information


Need help with Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Click here to find out more.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or disability.

Click here to find out more.

How to reach us

Our Income Management Advisors and Welfare Advice Officer are our specialist officers who provide expert help with all of the above.

If you think you need their help, get in touch with our Contact Centre who will arrange for one of the team to contact you.

Call 0330 128 0330

Email enquiries@eastlighthomes.co.uk

Or text 07860 024 511

Customer Services