Universal Credit

Are you of working age and making a new claim for Jobseekers' Allowance?  You may now be asked to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC).

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a welfare benefit which was launched in 2013. Universal Credit will eventually replace six working age benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseekers' Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

If you are entitled to these benefits, they will be combined under Universal Credit and you will receive one monthly payment, which (in most cases) will be paid to you directly.

This short film gives an introduction to Universal Credit, including:

  • how it helps to make work pay
  • the support claimants get
  • what’s expected in return



What do I have to do to pay my rent?

It will be your responsibility to make sure your rent is paid in full.

You must contact us if you are invited to claim for Universal Credit.

How can I prepare?

In preparation for the changes, you will need to

  • Have a bank account – all payments will be made straight to your personal bank account. If you do not have an account, find the right one for you here
  • Have internet access – all claims will be completed online. If you do not have access to the internet in your home, there are many public spaces you can access free Wi-Fi, or even use a free computer. Click here to find the nearest places to you
  • Have a monthly budget – it is important that you plan your money in advance so you do not get into arrears with your rent and / or household bills. Check your detailed spending here.

How do I apply?

To start your claim please visit the GOV.UK website.

What you need to make a claim

To make any future benefit claims, you will need to provide the following evidence to the DWP.

  • Current rent statement
  • Service charge statement
  • Copy of your tenancy agreement

For copies of the above documents, please contact us on 01206 244700. Your current rent statement can also be found on My Tenancy.

I need further information

For further information and advice:

Click here

or call the UC helpline on 0345 6000 723

or drop in to your local Job Centre Plus