What are you looking for?


Swap Homes

Do you want to move?

If your home no longer suits your needs and you wish to move, you may apply to transfer to another Colne home. Or if you want to move to a property not managed by Colne, you can apply for a mutual exchange with a resident of another housing association or council.

How to apply to transfer to another Colne home

As an existing Colne resident, if you need to move to another property because you current home is too small, not suitable due to a medical condition, or larger than your family needs, you can download Colne's transfer application form and apply to us for a transfer.

There will soon be changes happening to those of working age receiving benefits, which may mean you need to consider moving to a smaller property. If you have any queries regarding this, please contact your Neighbourhood Officer and they will be happy to help you.

If you need any more information, contact our Customer Services team on 01206 244700 or email customerservices@colnehousing.co.uk

How to swap homes - mutual exchange - with a non-Colne resident

Colne residents get three months free subscription (usual cost £10 per three months) for the mutual exchange website Homeswapper.

Homeswapper allows you to look for an exchange nationwide and matches you up with people who may be interested in moving into your property.

You can still register for housing and search for properties in the Gateway to Home Choice, and register on the free to use mutual exchange site House Exchange, a free website where you are able to view properties available from other organisations nationwide.

If you are taking part in a mutual exchange, an application form must be submitted to Colne by each party wishing to take part in such an exchange. 

Full details can be found in our Mutual Exchange leaflet

If you are looking to move to a smaller property, either by exchange or transfer,  you may qualify for financial help in moving. For more details contact your Neighbourhood Officer.

You will not be able to do a mutual exchange if:

  • The property you wish to move to is too big or too small for you, according to our guidelines
  • There are court orders against you or the other resident
  • You or the other resident live in tied accommodation such as a caretaker or Retirement Scheme Officer home
  • Either home has been designed or adapted for someone with a disability and one of the residents does not need these facilities
  • Either home has been built for a specific age group and one of the residents does not fulfil this criteria
  • You are in rent arrears.

Not what you’re looking for? Your answer may be on our FAQs page.